demo (#22) - OSMTutorial (#343) - Message List

OSMTutorial

I followed the tutorial from http://pgrouting.postlbs.org/wiki/OSMTutorial

When I get to step 4: Add Driving Distance functions. "psql -U postgres -f /usr/share/postlbs/routing_dd.sql routing" is the only sql-script that fails. Output from the client is: psql:/usr/share/postlbs/routing_dd.sql:28: server closed the connection unexpectedly

This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request.

psql:/usr/share/postlbs/routing_dd.sql:28: connection to server was lost

Goal is to setup a free rest-service for routing and driving distance for a reduced dataset from OSM.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm also available as Gagatan on freenode- and ircnet-network.

• Message #1425

Hi, can you provide some more information about OS, etc.?

• Message #1432

/etc/issue says Ubuntu 9.10.
      Ubuntu server kernel 2.6.31-19-server x86_64

Apache httpd 2.2.12-1ubuntu2.2
      Postgres 8.3.8-1
      Postgis 1.3.5-1ubuntu2

osm2pgrouting from svn-trunk
      osm2pgsql from svn-trunk
      wrs from svn-trunk

• Message #1438

I still haven't found a solution to this by the way.
        If you need more information about the setup, please advice.

• Message #1441

Sorry for the delay!

I think pgRouting's "Driving Distance" part has a problem to compile on 9.10 (though it was never a problem on previous Ubuntu versions).

So either you compile it without "Driving Distance" support, if you don't need this, or you can take a look at these posts, who might give some hint (but I must admit, I haven't tried it myself yet):

http://obsessivecoder.com/tag/ubuntu-9-10/
           http://www.mkgeomatics.com/wordpress/?p=312

• Message #1450

Driving Distance is one of the goals of the setup. I tried to apply some of the patches to the code regarding DD - but it also fails. The server wasn't in production, so it will be reinstalled to 9.04 and we'll continue from there.

Maybe I'll look more into getting things working on 9.10 or even upcoming 10.04 when I get more experience with the software.

regards
            Bjørn

• Message #1451

Hi, I just tried 10.04 Beta and it compiled. And also I could add all SQL's to the database including DD, so it should work.

• Message #1452

I switched to 10.04beta and postgresql 8.4. The howto works with small changes.

Step 4 requires replacing
                psql -U postgres -f /usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/lwpostgis.sql routing psql -U postgres -f /usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/spatial_ref_sys.sql routing
                with this:
                psql -U postgres -f /usr/share/postgresql/8.4/contrib/postgis.sql routing

Even though I configured pg_hba.conf as stated, I can use psql -U postgres routing without supplying a password, I can't get osm2pgrouting to work passwordless. If I alter postgres-user in psql - and supply a password for osm2pgrouting - everything works.

osm-data is now loading - but takes time due to old hardware (Dell D620). For production-use I'll look more into tuning postgres to be able to handle large quantities of inserts for this type of databases. Goal is at least once a week, preferrably daily or every other day if I can get it to load fast enough. As previously stated, I'm only working on a subset, only one <country>.osm

Thanks for the help so far :-)

• Message #1453

last update - import using osm2pgrouting went finally all the way. output stated that table 'ways' among others was created, but output from database shows:
                  routing=# \d

List of relations

Schema | Name | Type | Owner

public | classes | table | postgres
                  public | geometry_columns | table | postgres
                  public | nodes | table | postgres
                  public | spatial_ref_sys | table | postgres
                  public | types | table | postgres

(5 rows)

seems I'm missing the following tables/sequence

public | vertices_tmp | table | postgres
                  public | vertices_tmp_id_seq | sequence | postgres
                  public | ways | table | postgres

from what I can read from the OSMTutorial. But I didn't see any errormessages about osm2pgrouting not being able to create those tables.