サポート (#26) - Error while executing the function : assign_vertex_id() (#215) - Message List

Error while executing the function : assign_vertex_id()

I am stuck up with the error while executing the query :

ALTER TABLE rd_ksa ADD COLUMN source integer; ALTER TABLE rd_ksa ADD COLUMN target integer; SELECT assign_vertex_id('rd_ksa',0.00001,'the_geom','gid');

The messae displayed while executing this query is as follows : CONTEXT: SQL statement "CREATE TABLE vertices_tmp (id serial)" PL/pgSQL function "assign_vertex_id" line 14 at EXECUTE statement NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "vertices_tmp_id_seq" for serial column "vertices_tmp.id"

can any one pls help me out to sort out this problem.

I have also found a post by Yancho regarding the same error. In that he atlast mentioned as "Ok found out that the problem was due to that the function gets compiled only once per connection, so I had to reconnect " But dint follow what exactly he meant...

So please help

• Message #772
    CONTEXT: SQL statement "CREATE TABLE vertices_tmp (id serial)" PL/pgSQL function "assign_vertex_id" line 14 at EXECUTE statement
    NOTICE: CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "vertices_tmp_id_seq" for serial column "vertices_tmp.id"

This is actually not an error. It's just a notice that the function will create a sequence. This always happens if you add a column with the data type "serial".

Depending on your data and your hardware this function will take some time ... for example all Japan might take a couple of hours (I run this function usually during night time).

The error of Yancho can happen if you always run similar queries and then if you run a different one you might need to reconnect. It's something PostgreSQL related, but shouldn't be caused by assign_vertex_id function in general.